In 1953, Garland Knight and a partner opened Himight Sling Fabricators on Lafayette Street in Detroit, Michigan. Within a few years, the company began growing and eventually changed its name to Commercial Wire Rope and Sling. In 1964, the company moved into a larger facility on Grand River Avenue.
Over the next two decades, the company expanded its product line and geographic reach. After surviving the Detroit riots, the company opened branches in Flint and Toledo. During this period, a sister company, Detroit Chain Products, was established to manufacture chain slings and other related chain and web products.
In 1985, Garland Knight bought out his partner and continued the growth strategy. Industrial Cable and Sling was purchased in 1988. The Ohio operations were also expanded with the opening of a branch in Dayton in 1999 and the purchase of Great Lakes Supply in Cleveland in 2000. All the companies were ultimately consolidated into one holding company, The Commercial Group. In 2008, the Detroit administrative and manufacturing operations were moved into a state-of-the-art facility located in Taylor, Michigan.
Today, the company is one of the largest manufacturers of lifting and rigging devices in the country. Garland Knight still serves as Chairman, and his son, Gar Knight, is the President. Their goal remains the same - to provide the highest quality service to their customers while providing creative and innovative solutions to rigging and hoisting problems.